Friday, November 16, 2007

10 October 2007 - Pregnancy books

Derek bought this book for me in July 2007. It was recommended by his colleague and is something like a pregnancy manual that talks about pregnancy in a month-by-month format. I am almost reaching the end of the book but will still refer to it every now and then to re-read or simply to find answers to concerns or doubts that I have.


Another book that I have started to read is this book on Breastfeeding given to me by Eleanor. Speaking of Eleanor, we did have many things in common and our EDD are only 1 week apart! Due to this, we will always share with each other how are our bodies changing during pregnancy, where are the latest baby sales, what we have read from the Singapore Motherhood forum and so on. She is the only one among my friends who is pregnant. In fact, I do not have any friends who had given birth before to ask for any advice. The only ones I know of are my cousins but they are at least 10 years older than me so we are not so close.



I can always ask my mum but the last time she gave birth was to Shirlyn, which was like 26 years ago! And after chatting with my mum a few times, I realised that things have changed so much now- in terms of medical and baby care. My mum told me that in her days, they did not have ultrasound scans during the visits to the gynae. Hence, it was only until the day you delivered then you know whether you had a boy or gal. And people will usually "tell" or rather, guess from the shape of your tummy to "assess" if you are carrying a boy or gal. I guess that was how those old wives' tales and myths started! Fish oil supplements were also unheard of. Moreover, very few people used breast pumps - they simply latch on the baby and surprisingly, breast engorgement were not a complaint. Likewise for steam sterilizers- people simply put the bottles into a pot of boiled water to sterilize them.

I guess society advancements has its pros and cons. Despite the improved medical care and technology in childbirth, it somehow feels less natural compared to the "olden days". And with more advancements especially the internet, books, magazines, I am sure many mummies-to-be are more informed but yet at the same time, exposed to more things which may cause unnecessary worry. I myself is guilty of it; when I read that someone is the forum is experiencing baby movements and I have yet to feel it, I start to worry. When I see other people gaining more weight than me, I worry again despite knowing that every pregnancy is different. It is only when I hear from my gynae that the baby is doing welll then I feel assured. The word "supposed to" ought to be erased from a pregnant woman's vocabulary and ear-plugs
should be made compulsory for all expectants!

No comments:

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers