Tuesday, August 02, 2011

Munchkins or Mummies- Both are learning all the time




Gerrard loves activity books, especially those that has anything to do with the Alphabets. Mention alphabets in any form and it catches his attention instantaneously. My mum does a set of English, Chinese & Math books with him during weekdays and I thought since I am on leave, I could do some with him as well as I have ran out of toys for him to play with.


How difficult could a pre-school exercise be right? Ha, think twice. I had lost to this "Phonics Enrichment Book for preschoolers". There is this particular page that requires us to say the sound of each letter then find and paste the picture that begins with the sound we made. It started out ok until I reached the word "j" and upon seeing a cup sticker, as there isn't a "c" in the exercise, I automatically assumed it is a jug and told Gerrard to stick the sticker in the "j" box. The real challenge came when I saw the "m" box and there isn't any stickers left except for the airplane. As there isn't an "a" and nest is definitely in the "n" box, my heart started to beat a tad faster. I quickly flipped to the last page for the Answers only to realise there isn't any answers page in this book!! OH dear!





All this while, Gerrard has been quietly observing how Mummy started to panic and he didn't really understand why is there no "answer" to the "m" box. He looked to me for directions... and I told him, no worries, this is a very difficult word, the picture is actually a military plane so it belongs to the "m" box. He appeared apprehensive at my explanation but I insisted I am right and that he sticks the plane sticker in the "m" box and we called it a night.


Just as I laid in bed last night with a million other things running in my mind, the exercise page suddenly flashed across my head and at 1.30am, it is as if a light bulb had lit up. The cup is actually a MUG and the plane is a JET. It is that simple- why the world did I not think of it in the first place? DUH, what a boo boo!


Life is already complicated enough as it is, sometimes thoughts just need to be a bit simpler and you'll get the picture :)

No comments:

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers