Saturday, October 01, 2011

Maidless Week 3

Just when I thought my luck with maids is improving, my trusty domestic helper, A, decided to terminate her contract 2 months earlier. I admit that I did feel a tinge sense of betrayal as I feel that she should at least stay and help me until the new maid comes, given how nice we have treated her. However, I am sure that for people with maids, you know that once their heart is set on leaving, there is really no point talking to them further. I had a few unhappy experiences during this time so we booked her ticket, chose a new maid and sent A home, all within 1 week. As our new maid takes about 6-8 weeks to arrive, we are officially back to how it was like in 2 years ago when we were maidless.

Week 1 was quite a chaos, in packing to go out, I forget to bring my handphone, when I remember my handphone, I forget to bring Gerrard's school bag... the list goes on. And being the perfectionist, I still want everything to be spick and span, floor to be mopped everyday, clothes to be scrubbed before putting into the washing machine, all admist holding onto a full time job mind you.

Week 2, I had fallen. Literally. I had a bad sprain on my spine and could hardly walk! My left leg felt lifeless and suddenly, I couldn't bend, I couldn't walk properly and couldn't carry my dear Gerrard. Everything seemed to come to a standstill and at this time, my knight in shining armour, Dear, helped out in so many ways. It is the first time since marriage that he took the lead in ensuring that the house is in order. He also took very good care of Gerrard and I really feel so touched and grateful to have him around.

This experience also taught me a very good lesson, to learn to let go sometimes and being insistent on every single detail may not necessarily be the best for everyone. Hence, by end of Week 3, I had learnt to take a step back, focus on what's important and not to sweat the small stuff. I have overcome my personal "hurdle" and accepted the following facts which indeed made me less uptight:

- it is really OK if the floor is not mopped for 1 day
- it is OK if Gerrard's bedsheets are changed every 10 days instead of 7
- when life gets really busy, the washing machine washes just as well even if the clothes are not scrubbed before putting into the washer

Another great thing I observed is that without the maid around, Gerrard has learnt to be a tad more independent. Now he is able to lift up the potty to pee in whenever he needs to and also helps me to carry the smaller stuff when he sees that I am struggling with my bags. He even knows to remind me, have you brought the keys mummy? did you remember your handphone, mummy? He's such a dear.

As long as everyone plays their part, nothing is too difficult to conquer. What's most important is the whole family stays together and sometimes, "wasting time" to have a good laugh is so worth putting off the laundry cleaning to tomorrow =)




-

No comments:

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers